Stop Windows 10 Update is very must to know for every Windows 10 users. There are many reasons to disable Windows 10 updates. Some of them are as the update sometimes doesn’t work perfectly and your machine starts doing strange things. The other thing is that when you are doing something very important and suddenly the Windows Update restarts your computer automatically.
It will then encounter many issues which consume a lot of your time and also make you stressful. The best reason to Stop the updates is when you are using a Cellular Data. It is when you connect your mobile using USB cable and enable the USB Internet Tethering. So, in this way update consumes all your data in just single update. The minimum size of this is about 1GB so this is the worst thing for all the Cellular Data users.
This is the reason why Stopping update is must to know for this Operating System users. In Windows 7 it is easy to stop updates but in this updated version it is a little bit complicated. There are few methods to do so which I am going to discuss below. You can read about them to know how you can also disable those updates and save your data as well.
Note: Before proceeding please first know that Windows 10 Update also help you in improving device performance. Also, it will keep your PC secure by updating the Virus and threat protection. That’s why it is recommended to disable the update only for a specific time until you are using Cellular Data. After connecting to the Unlimited data you then need to enable it to keep your computer secure.
How To Stop Windows 10 Update With Service
This is the first method in which you can Stop Windows 10 update using Service. It is the easy way to stop it all you need to do is follow the below methods carefully.
First of all, you need to open the Start Menu and then search for Run. Now right click on Run and run it as the Administrator and it will open a new Window. You can even open it by clicking on the Windows Logo + R at the same time.
In the Run Window type “services.msc” (without quotes) and you see the New Window. From that Window, you then need to search for the “Windows Update” & double click on it.
Now you will see the Windows Update Properties so you need to open the General. Under the general, you find many options from there look for the Startup Type and then click on the Drop Down Menu. In this menu, you will see many options for Startup Type, simply select the Disable and then click on Apply and then Save.
That’s it now just restart your machine and you won’t receive any updates anymore. So, if you want to open it again follow the same procedure but this time in Startup Type select Automatic. Now you will receive your updates again.
Stop Windows 10 Updates Using Registry
There are two ways to Stop Windows update using registry settings. If you want to disable Windows update permanently then you can follow these below steps to learn.
Note: This is the friendly note that editing the Registry may cause your computer boot failure if you made any mistakes. So, please make sure to backup your personal data before proceeding.
Ok so follow these below steps to Stop Windows 10 Update permanently.
- Open Start from the taskbar or either click on the Windows Logo Key.
- Now here you need to search for the “regedit” and open the first result you see.
- After that navigate to this address
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsQuick Tip: You can simply copy and paste this code in the address bar to directly reach to the destination folder.
- Now right click on the Windows folder and then move your cursor to the New and now simply click on Key.
- It will then ask you to add a name simply name it “WindowsUpdate” and click ok.
- Now you need to right click on the newly created file and then select new and click on the key.
- At this time you need to name it as AU and press enter.
- Select the AU and then right click on that folder and then select the New and then click on the key.
- Rename this key as the NoAutoUpdate and then you need to hit enter.
- At this time you need to double click on the newly created key, now change its value from 0 to 1.
- After you change the value just click on Ok and then restart your computer.
That’s it you have now successfully Stops Windows 10 Updates and now it won’t be downloaded automatically. After all, there is still a chance to download it manually so if you want to download manually then follow these below steps.
Open Start Menu from Taskbar or by pressing the Windows Logo key. Now click on the Settings located left side and then move to the Update & Security. Now simply open the Windows Update and then click on Check Windows Update and then Windows will look for the update.
Limiting Windows 10 Update
In case if the permanent disable doesn’t work for you then you can use this method instead. It will allow you to customize the Windows Update settings furthermore with advanced selection. This will help you to avoid windows for the specific time period or it ask you to auto download or auto download and then install.
Let’s now check out these below steps to customize the Windows Update settings:
- First, open the Start Menu from the taskbar or by pressing Windows Key.
- Now search for the regedit and open the top result you see.
- After this navigate to the following path
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsNote: You can directly copy and paste this path to the address bar to directly access the folder
- Right click on the Windows Folder and then move the cursor to the New and click on Key.
- Name that key WindowsUpdate and then hit Enter
- Again right click on the Newly created key and then select New and then click Key
- At this time now add the AU name in that key and hit enter.
- Now right click on the right side hollow area and then select the New and click on DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Simply name this newly created key AUOptions and then hit Enter.
- Now double click on the AUOptions and set the value which will suit you better (numbers only). The value is given below with their functions
- 2 — It will notify you to download and install automatically.
- 3 — It will be downloaded automatically and then notify you to install
- 4 — It Will be downloaded automatically and you need to choose the schedule for installation
- 5 — It will allow local admins to change the settings.
These are some of the best values which you can choose between. Now simply add the value which suits according to your requirement and then you are ready to go.
11. Add any value from the above and Click on OK.
12. Now Restart your computer and you will see the changes.
This is the easiest and other best method to limit your Windows 10 updates. After you complete all the above steps you have now successfully Stop Windows 10 update. Now if you again want to download manually then go to Settings > Security & Update > Windows Update & select check Windows update.
These are some best methods to Stop Windows 10 update. All the provided methods are working 100% fine and you don’t need to go to another website as these are only methods available. The registry method is a little bit risky so I never recommend you to use this. Because if you make any mistake then your PC may not boot again and you then install a fresh new Windows.
In some case, if you find any problem or encountered any issue please be assured to ask in the comment section. I will try my best to help you out from that problem and resolve it as soon as possible. Also please let me know in the comment section which method you are using.
If you find this article helpful then please do share with your friends because share is care. Also, bookmark my website so that you also get the latest updates, tips & tricks related to windows. I will share every new trick about the windows 10 as well as Windows 7 on this website.